George Way started the Advance drum company, then joined Leedy in 1921. In 1942 he left Leedy and established his own shop selling parts before moving to Slingerland in Chicago 1945. In 1946 he established the Hollywood Drum Shop in California. Hard times saw him move to Elkhart Indiana to once again work for the Conn company, in their Leedy drum division.
In 1952 George is put in charge of merging Leedy and Ludwig & Ludwig into one company known as Leedy & Ludwig. In 1954 Conn decided to get out of the drum business.
George solicited investors and formed a corporation named the George Way Drum Company and purchases the factory formerly operated by Conn’s Leedy and Ludwig Division located at 225 East Jackson St. in Elkhart. Between 1957 and 1959 Way introduces his famous line of snare drums including the Aristocrat and Spartan model snare drums plus a full ine of toms and bass drums.
One of his investors, John Rochon, owned Camco, a screw machine company in Chicago which supplied drum hardware to the George Way Drum Company, Rogers and others.
Rochon acquired control of the George Way drum company and forced George out in 1961. Soon after, Rochon changed the name of the company to the Camco Drum Company, and moved production from Elkhart to Oak Lawn Illinois, where his screw machine business was located.
George started working at the Rogers factory on Monday, October 12th, 1961 but it was not a satisfying role.
In 1962 George starts the GHW drum company. Seven years later on February 21, 1969 George Harrison Way passes on.
The George Way Drum Company is now owned by Ronn Dunnett.